Sunday, December 6, 2009

December 6th, Make a joyful noice!


Silent, Holy Night is a collection of Advent/Christmas songs written by Mark Friedman and Janet Voigt. I was first introduced to the collections of songs at a National Pastoral Music conference. I quickly scooped it up with the intent purpose of sharing it with my faith community. I was the music director for a small, loving church in St. Anne, Illinois. The four years that I spent there were indeed four wonderful fulfilling years. This collection of songs contributed to the experience. The song "Mary's Child" still brings a tear to my eye when I first hear it every year. I had three of my male choir members sing it. Mark Beaupre, Ed Beaupre and Doug Burling. All three of them had unique, beautiful singing voices. In particular Mark's voice melted my heart. To this day, I long to hear him sing it again. The other songs were equally as touching, and I had the pleasure of writing, and directing children at St. Anne church, and St. Joseph Catholic School in a neighboring town. Along with the children of both communities, I had the honor the joy of hearing my children join in the singing, along with my nephews Michael John and Justin Hunger. Our Christmas pageant blended child and adult together to send out and receive the undying message of love and sacrifice as found in the birth of Christ.
Today, on the feast of St. Nicholas, I received a wonderful gift. Those songs were revived. This time with my daughter Aubrey singing. After she left, I grabbed ahold of the microphone and was taken back to a time in my life where the music of church and the season of the church embraced all of my comings and goings. No matter where I sing, what I sing, or when I sing, nothing, and I mean nothing compares to singing for the Lord.

O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods Ps 95:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment