Saturday, December 6, 2014

Saturday Morning Skillet; A morning Whim

There is something about a Saturday that is like no other day of the week. Life changes pace with as much fervor as a Northeasterly wind coming out over the lake. So, with a Saturday always comes the desire to slow life down, enjoy the finer things and begin the day with a special breakfast. Monday through Friday I am lucky if I grab a yogurt, or a quick bread of some type. Coffee, always a coffee, but what else goes with it is the fast grab. But, Saturday, I escape into breakfast paradise! Today warranted a special treat. What is captured below is exactly that!
 I began with telling Steve that I would be making some eggs and maybe a little bacon and would he like some. His response was, "YES!" So, after my morning radio show, a walk on the treadmill I dug into the refrigerator. You see, I wake up dreaming about what I am going to cook. I create recipes as I awaken. I knew today would be eggs, but, what to go with, that is always a whim.

Today's creation? Saturday Morning Skillet!
 Ingredients:

  • 4 eggs
  • handful of fingerling potatoes
  • 1/4 yellow pepper
  • 1/2 medium red onion
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cooked strips of bacon
  • 5 or 6 yellow cherry tomatoes sliced in half
  • 2 oz of New York sharp cheddar cheese grated


Begin by slicing the fingerling potatoes into nice little slices. Not too thin as they will overcook. Too thick and the onions will. Dice the onion. Crumble the bacon. Dice the pepper. (in the future I would use either red or green as it is a nice color addition, but considering I cook on a whim, that would require pre-planning and that isn't the way I work typically!) Add the olive oil to a frying pan and begin to heat. Then add all of vegetables  to the oil. Stir lightly. Saute until you begin to see evidence of change in the color and texture of the vegetables.

Next, add the bacon! 
At this point of the cooking process, Steve typically enters the room to find out what is happening. Why? because this is the point in the cooking process when the wonderful aromas begin to be released throughout the house! 
My favorite point of the cooking process! Next, add prepare and add the tomatoes. (I only used a few. The remaining will be used in pasta later)
This is the point when you just let all the flavors meld together. Top the sauteed mixture together and top with the cheese. Break the 4 eggs over the top of the skillet, add a little pepper and top it with a lid. Leave it on high for 1 minute, then turn it down to medium heat until the eggs reach a nice poached consistency. 
Perfection! 











No comments:

Post a Comment