Sunday, March 2, 2014

Crep-Pannies! Yummy Simple High Protein Breakfast!

So, today is Sunday and it is a day to feast for most people. It is the day when the cold cereal, fast grab breakfast of the work week is replaced with a more leisurely approach to gastronomic satisfaction. Well, I was faced with a dilemma, to have another protein shake, plain eggs, or be a little more extravagant? Well, in keeping with ME, Mary E., I gave in to extravagant...sort of. I found what I believe is the perfect way to meet half way on both sides of the dilemma. I made "Crep-Pannies" In other words, a cross between a pancake and a crepe with a special high protein, lo-carb twist. That is right, I did it. In my typical, "a little of this, and a little of that" whimsical, carefree approach. I rarely write recipes down as it is not my style. I do as my senses tell me when it comes to most things and especially cooking! Here is my recipe, just for you!

Caution: I really believe you must approach your cooking endeavor in the grand style of this Crep-Panny Chef, do it barefoot, with a robe on, hair wild tossed about your head and nothing but a hungry fire in your soul!

Begin with a nice size mixing bowl, you will need it! Secondly do not bother with a hand mixer, but, rather use a whisk to keep with the whimsical, carefree approach of this chef :D. Cook these pancakes on either a flat griddle or a crepe pan. I personally used a flat round frying pan, about 13 inches in diameter. INGREDIENTS:

  • One juicy lemon
  • One fresh apple
  • 3 eggs
  • oil, 1 tablespoon or so...
  • About 1/2 to 3/4 quarters cup of flour
  • a dash or 2, baking powder
  • a dash or 2, baking soda/ Just enough to make it look temporarily like a grade school science project :D
  • Vanilla a tsp or so
  • Milk, 1/2 cup
  • Protein powder - 1 scoop, I used GNC brand
  • Honey 1 tsp to counter lemon, and for sweet love
  • Pure maple syrup

Begin by squeeze the juice of the lemon, set it aside. Next grate your apple, peel and all, add it to the lemon. In a mixing bowl, crack your eggs into the bowl. Using your whisk, beat the heck out of the eggs. Use any fear of calories on the eggs...go ahead beat em' up...they can take the aggression! Now, add the lemon and the apples to the eggs, mix it up real good. Add vanilla, blend it in. Add oil, next add the baking powder, seriously no more than a teaspoon, mix it in and then add the baking soda. Now, watch it, here comes the pseudo-science experiment! Add a little of the flour, mix it in, add the milk, mix it in, add the rest of the flour and protein powder, add the honey, and mix it all together. It should be the consistency of a really nice milk shake.

Spray your cooking surface generously. Let it get hot enough that when you begin to pour your batter on it, it sizzles! When adding the batter to the surface, spread it around and try to make it equal to the size of a crepe and as thin as you can. To flip something this size, take a spatula gently around the edges loosening it. Then carefully slide your spatula under the crep-panny when it is evident that it is cooked more than half way through and with one quick, careful lift turn it over. It will only take a minute after the flip to be done. Place the cooked crep-panny on a plate waiting for the rest to be done. Repeat this step until all batter is gone.

Serve the crep-panny with whatever topping tickles your fancy! I put a light blend of butter, and pure maple syrup, (no maple flavored corn syrup allowed in my kitchen!) I spread it lightly over my crep-panny and rolled it up. I heated it for an additional 25 seconds in the microwave. This step infuses the syrup and butter. Doing it this way will give you a light buttery sweetness and you will use only 1/6th of the typical dousing of syrup on pancakes. Saturday Night Steve, well, he likes his without any additional nonsense.

Enjoy! This recipe makes about 3 nice size crep-pannies!

I am looking forward to hosting my first Meal Sharing event soon! Check out my site and the many others from around the world! http://www.mealsharing.com/users/artsees-d

No comments:

Post a Comment